Thank you for your continued patience and support as we navigate through this national health crisis due to the Coronavirus. I want to provide you with an update on what Discovery Charter School has been working on. DCS is following all guidance from the Department of Health and the Governor’s executive orders. Therefore, we have closed school. Our school will remain closed until we receive word from the Department of Health and the Governor that they can reopen.
As the return date is uncertain, we are preparing for all possibilities. In order to continue your child’s education, we are moving to remote online learning starting Monday March 30th. Please understand that there is no system that will please everybody, but we are working tirelessly to support distance learning for our students. We are excited to share all of the things we are doing to provide your child during these challenging times. We will need your help and cooperation along the way.
- All students will have two check-ins daily with their teachers and classmates live via Zoom. The first check in will be in the morning, and the second in the afternoon. Specific times will be provided by your child’s teacher. These check-ins are a great time to strengthen our DCS community during challenging times. Students will be able to see their teachers and classmates and incorporate some joy and learning. We ask that all parents create a Zoom account, directions on how to create an account are below. Your child’s teacher will provide the link within their Google Classroom (more info below).
- Parents will be receiving an email from your teachers that states you allow or do not allow your child to participate in zoom meetings with teachers and other students. This will be sent out by Monday March 30th
- Your child’s teacher will be creating a google classroom if they did not already have one in place. Through this classroom, you will be able to access important materials and resources. You will also be able to ask questions and submit student work. There will also be links to the YouTube videos that our teachers are creating daily for instruction. Your child’s teachers will reach out to you with instructions for how to join.
- If you currently are not enrolled in the Remind app, we ask that you join. Our school leaders and teachers will continue to use this service to bring you important updates. Our School Wide remind code is @a626hc. If you do not already have the remind app you will need to download for free and put in the school code and you will be connected.
- We have created a Discovery Charter School YouTube page. Within that page you will see folders for each grade as well as Encores. Our teachers are hard at work this week creating YouTube videos for online instruction. Each day your child will have videos of the following: ELA, Mathematics, Writing/Science/Social Studies, as well as Physical Education, Music, and Art
We thank you for your patience and cooperation as we adjust to online learning. Please reach out with any questions, comments, or concerns.
DCS Leadership Team
Setting up a Gmail account
To create a Gmail address, you’ll first need to create a Google account. Gmail will redirect you to the Google account sign-up page. You’ll need to provide some basic information like your name, birth date, gender, and location. You will also need to choose a name for your new Gmail address.
To create an account:
- Go to www.gmail.com.
- Click Create account, then click for myself.
- The sign-up form will appear. Follow the directions by entering the required information.
- Next, enter your phone number to verify your account. Google uses a two-step verification process for your security.
- You will receive a text message from Google with a verification code. Enter the code to complete the account verification.
- Next, you will see a form to enter some of your personal information, like your name and birthday.
- Your account will be created.