Students at Discovery Charter School receive approximately three hours of ELA instruction each day! Our literacy program is balanced and includes:
- Read Aloud is designed to expose students to new vocabulary, model fluent reading, and develop a love for reading through high-interest texts
- Sustained Silent Reading (SSR) is uninterrupted reading time with a text of their choosing to encourage reading for pleasure.
- ELA Content Block engages students in critical thinking, discussion of text, and develops key literacy strategies.
- Guided Reading gives students the chance to apply the strategies they already know to new text. Students respond to text through discussion and written responses.
- K-2 Reading Foundations Skills Block uses a structured phonics approach and is meant to ensure that, by the end of grade 2, students develop the skills they need to navigate grade-level text independently.
- K-2 Labs allows for additional practice and exploration of topics taught in ELA Content Block.
- Writing is embedded in most areas of ELA instruction and exposes students to various formats and techniques.
CLICK the link below for information pertaining to New York State ELA Common Core Standards: